Sunday, November 9, 2014

Sketch 365

Most of you don't know this but I've been suffering from some pretty bad anxiety that is causing some awful artists-block. The paintings I've done over the last several years take a lot of effort for me to create because of this. The difficulty extends to drawing and sketching as well. I've been very proactive in trying to get through this and a few weeks ago my best friend and I decided to undertake one of those 365-day challenges as a way of helping me get back on the horse. 365-day challenges can be about anything: take one selfie a day, cook something new every day, write a story every day, etc. We decided to "sketch" something every day for a year.  

THE RULES:
  • Minimum of 1 "sketch" must be done per day
  • A "sketch" may be in any medium; a painting would count as a "sketch"
  • Minimum dimension of 5"x8" taking up at least half the page
  • Multiple pieces do not count toward future days of sketching
  • If you miss a day, you may make it up the following day; days do not roll over.
  • If you miss a day and do NOT make it up, that day gets tacked on to the end of the "year"
  • Each week (Mon-Sun) a theme is picked, taking turns picking every other week from the pre-agreed upon list.
  • Drawing in the theme is optional.
We decided to have rules in order for there to be accountability but not so many that it becomes daunting. The idea is to challenge ourselves to draw EVERY day, not just once a week. We are already on week 3 and the themes are helping a lot; they make it a bit more challenging, more like a game. I think having things too open-ended makes me too indecisive and nothing gets done.

I'll be attempting to post everything I've drawn a week at a time so folks can see what I'm up to. It's been a lot of fun so far!

No comments: